- To be part of a club with a healthy environment that is conducive for children to feel safe, a sense of belonging and support
- Share your skills and passion for the game
- Encourage growth and confidence
- Being a positive influence to young people and helping them to make important life decisions.
- Assisting the coaches
- Transferring skills - to the youth and coaches
- Working with schools to enhance their after school sport activities
- Coaching the youth - encouraging them to develop their soccer skills and personal confidence
- Assisting with setting up the coaching itinerary
- Having fun and being a mentor for the youth participating in the programme
This project is closed during the South African school holidays.
20 September - 1 October 2019
6 December - 2 January 2020
23 March - 1 April 2020
15 June - 8 July 2020
21 September - 30 September 2020
7 December - 13 January 2021
However, if there are holiday camps running, there will be work during the school holiday periods. Just contact your travel advisor who can check this for you.
- Airport transfers
- Cape Town Orientation Package: 3 nights' accommodation, orientation that covers everything the volunteers need to know about staying in South Africa (from social skills to transport and safety), two meals per day, bus trip into town, lunch (on the Friday), walking tour of the city, a train ride back to the accommodation and day trip (on the Saturday)
- All paperwork, placement and liaising with your volunteer program
- Appointed supervisor for the duration of program
- Two meals a day (breakfast and dinner)
- Donation per month to the volunteer project to assist in their funding
- A South African SIM card that works on a pay-as-you-go top up system
- Monthly socials for volunteers to get together and meet other volunteers (cost depends on the social)
- Certificate & report on volunteer`s program should this be required for studies or other purposes
- FREE 2-hour surf lesson
- Minimum age of 18
- Police clearance required
- Intermediate English. You must be able to understand enough English to follow instructions and communicate with the youth.
- Volunteer application form with your reason for choosing this project
- Coaching or general football skills
- Patience and a friendly nature
- Good interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of floorball or netball is a bonus
- Easy to medium physical work
- Large emotional investment
The work itself is not dangerous. Generally, HIV/AIDS is extremely prevalent in South Africa, so it is your personal responsibility to take care with regards to health and safety, as well as sexual relationships.
Volunteers need to be flexible and keep an open mind concerning their placements as situations can arise beyond our control which could require you to be placed at a different project than the one you have initially chosen. We will of course always do our utmost to fulfill your initial wishes but do remember that where you are going is quite different from where you are coming and as such one should be prepared for things not always going according to plan.
Volunteering and intercultural travel share a common trait: the more you put into it, the more you get out of it. This program is designed for proactive individuals and groups that are prepared to adapt to the local environment and its current needs. Naturally, the scheduling and activities of our program are subject to change. Alterations in activities are mainly due to changes in local conditions, which we believe is part of what makes overseas programs the interesting adventure and incredible learning experience that they are.
Our projects range from 1 week up to approx. 30 weeks. Projects have a specified minimum stay, then it’s up to you how long you can commit. In our experience the longer you stay the more you will gain, as your understanding of the project broadens and you take on more responsibilities. Every volunteer will be given a certificate of appreciation at the end of their stay as a symbol of volunteering stay.